Friday 14 April 2023

Nothing Yet Everything


I don't know
whether anything fits the bill
the coyote blue sky
the quilt cover of clouds
the verdant velvety greens
the squirreling pathway
the fallen frizzled leaf

Sometimes a story
of human deprivation
callous cruel catalytic
strikes hard
like a water filled balloon
settles somewhere deep
rattling raking rocking
but doesn't evoke the need
to regurgitate
in cadence or concern

It's much much later 
only when my own
peeves dredge up
from somewhere inside
that those concentric gibberish
groove in circles
rounder and rounder
deeper and deeper
darker and darker
cluttered
labyranthine 
that the groans
seek word
but never enough
but never so satiating
to empty me out
like a vacated room
or a deserted desolate citadel
where once lit up .... joyous jugglery

And sometimes
it's just nothing
merely
gliding by
in Metro
or an open window 
of a rickety coach or cab
the wind swishing past
caressing chiffony
crooning humming murmuring
fragrances 
wistful woeful icy whimpering
remembrances
yet not quite there

Or just a pair of crows cawing
bickering over a squishy piece of 
pedigree 

Nothing fits the bill
nothing
or perhaps
everything 

19 comments:

  1. There is cruelty and beauty in this world and it is wistful how your imagination flies and lightly falls, trying to make sense of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be overwhelming to process all the confusion in the world. I love the phrase "the squirreling pathway".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I created a verb out of a noun. Does that make it wrong or a new beginning.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I'd say that's the stuff of poetry – and also of life ... which is the stuff of poetry./

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary for understanding me.
      My process.

      Delete
    2. Re-reading, I love this all over again, every detail – and realise I forgot to say, last time, how much I Iove it!

      Delete
    3. It's very difficult to give words to feelings. In our Hindusthani Classical Music the use of lyrics in composition is very less because where emotions play words fail.

      Thanks so much for your appreciation. It means a lot to me.

      Delete
  4. That's the paradox I'm working on. Love it. Nothing is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You allowed the reader access into a place deep inside your processes ... a great write!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. Sometimes it is indescribable.

      Delete
  6. I liked this read, "Fitting the bill" is hard to do exactly. But we can try.
    My favorite stanza was the "merely gliding by in Metro or an open window of a rickety coach or cab the wind swishing past caressing chiffony crooning humming murmuring fragrances wistful woeful icy whimpering remembrances yet not quite there."
    Lots of time to meditate when riding in the rickety ("rickshaw" my way of saying). The last time I rode one was in the Caribbean some place but I can't remember where. We did see some in India, Kochi had plenty, lots of tourists helped.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jim for the elaborate comment. My mind wanders whenever I am in a moving vehicle. That is why I don't like driving.. My focus wavers and musings take over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the ambiguity (and freedom) of the last stanza. "Nothing fits the bill / nothing / or perhaps / everything". I love any thought, poem, story... that allows the one experiencing some choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to dissociate the particular thought which compels to write.

      Delete