Friday 1 April 2022

The Half Eaten Cake

 





Early morning...

Pulling away the curtains

I let the sun stream in

"Good Morning" I say cheerfully

"Morning" Replies Mom drowsily

"Happy Birthday"

She repeats after me "Happy Birthday"

I ask her, "Whose Birthday it is , Maa?"

"Don't know..." She says dreamily

"Yours", I croon into her ears softly


In the evening...

Sister brings the cake

"Happy Birthday Maa"

Creamed on it

We make her sit on the bed

and tell her to cut it

She tries to wound her gnarled fingers

Round the plastic knife but fails

We hold her hand and knife out a piece

Singing "Happy Long Life To You..."

She looks around with wide vacant eyes and

Repeats "Appy  Long Life..."

Her lids droop....we place her head gently

on the pillow....she snores softly


In the Hall...

We all gather

With a piece of cake in hand

We celebrate her wrinkled memory

Her fading smile

Her half knowing glances

Her garbled song

And pretend to be merry

A bit musty though...


My mother is a Dementia patient since 2016


This poem is shared with Poets and Storytellers United 


17 comments:

  1. Oh so touchy....l know how it is my grandmom too suffered the same. Patience is tried but happy memories make up for more than

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jossina. We have to celebrate what's no more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh V.L, I like this sooo very much. I have friends who contracted Dementia and my dad had it before he died at age 97. Adi, my Beagle dog, were a registered Pet Therapy Team and visited the Alzheimers wing at a local senior living home. She loved those residents and they loved her. You could search my blog for her, she died in 2012.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is some connect between dementia and doggos. My mother's first sentence after waking up each morning is "Where's Rinky?" That's my pet.

      Delete
  4. So beautiful that you care for her.

    Happy you dropped by my blog

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written, sad yet tender.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a powerful moment to share with us. The image of her children holding her hand so that she can cut the cake is bittersweet. The ending is real and sad... Still, it's good to see the family together, trying to make her lucid moments as sweet as possible.

    I hope she enjoyed her cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she did. The next morning. She has a sweet tooth.

      Delete
  7. I did not see that coming, touching

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear V.
    I had Goosebumps by the time I read the last line. Your poem honours your mother so beautifully, like a soft lullaby.
    It can't be easy. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Message received from Colleen on my gmail.

    "Sweet in more ways than one. One some level celebrating is worth it."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being human... beautiful. Making memories for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete