Monday 10 July 2023

The Glass Ceiling

They said 
You have to taste the food first
I said I am no cat
If I die who will look after my family
That put a stop to the sordid dictum
Which had taken the shape of an ageless  convention

***

He said you should keep it under lock and key
The diary
With pencil entries
Some day you will find them erased
By the miscreants
The diary remained where it was
No miscreants ever touched

***

He said
You ask too many questions
There are some you should never raise
God knows where you will end up
Without a possible return 
I still probe 
Without any hope
Of getting a sane reply
My silence
They have not been able to buy


***

She said
Think over
One day you will be all alone
Without a soul to call your own
I do not till date resent
My decision
To be on my own
I enjoy what others have never done
Walking on broken glass
Barefoot

The boots lost in the storm
Steps bloody yet firm






20 comments:

  1. Strong words and a super finish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, even when walking on broken glass, steps are firm when we make our own decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep writing in that diary. Boots or no, you go on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your courage reflected in every write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the contrary, there are times when I do feel vulnerable. Thanks Jossina.

      Delete
  5. I love this! Makes me want to utter rousing cheers. (I bet you could hear them from there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can hear it and it gives me a lot of strength.

      Delete
  6. This is a poem of courage, of faith and steadfastness. The ending lines are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much. You are very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fascinating piece that keeps the reader intrigued from first word to last!!! Really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete