Friday 23 June 2023

The Midas Touch



Shared with Poets and Storyrellers United


Today's Prompt : The Poem should contain          Complete Name of the Poet's Favourite Book




If only I could turn
My life upside down
And yell, "Eureka"
Like Archimedes had done
"Why upside down?"
You may ask 
I'll reply to that
Just give me a while
A simple wish 
With logic of its own
If you care to mull over
You'll understand soon
When you empty your bin 
Or bag or case
Don't you place it upside down
To cleanse off all trace
Of the clutter inside
So do I want to declutter
My life so that I can
Dispose off the slushpile
And start afresh ... dream anew
Even if that never ever comes true
But alas! I am yet to find that one
Sorcerer's Stone
Which can do the trick
Turn the clock back soon
Let life play a jig on its axis 
But if you come upon
The angel who has it
Just whisper my name
To her and in a flash
See the magic wand
Swing in action
Moonwalking may you
Find me "beyond 
                the horizon 
                  beyond"
 Like Michael Jackson


15 comments:

  1. You've written this with a lovely movement which echoes and enhances the sentiments expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😁😁You are very kind. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, to unclutter the load and rid ourselves of the baggage we carry, although that baggage no doubt contains a few gems as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "turn the clock back soon, let life play a jig on its axis" ~~ the crux of it all some days. Your poem is awesome, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all wait for angels and magic wand....loved this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jossina. But perhaps that magic wand is inside us.

      Delete
  6. Great poem Great question Do I want to declutter? Maybe that what we collect makes us who we are Maybe if we careful select when decluttering then that would be a good thing I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah! Yes great insight. Careful selection while decluttering is of utmost importance so that we do not discard what is necessary. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. When tragedy strikes a person, here in the U.S, and it dismays the victim, we have a saying, "It turned his/her/their life upside down." Do you use the life upside down over there? I don't know if the Brits use it or not either. I'm glad to see it here. Also I like the way you've incorporated Michael Jackson and his walk in. That has fallen out of popularity here.
    I really enjoyed reading your poem. And thank you for peeking in on me.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim for the visit and appreciation. Yes, the phrase upside down is used to signify trouble, havoc, turmoil but I have used it in literal sense. But again, in order to bring changes in life you have to turn it upside down. Don't you think so?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we should "view these things from all angles."
      ..

      Delete
  8. This is a fine write. I love how you incorporated the title of the book into the mood of the poem.

    ReplyDelete