Friday, 2 October 2026

From Confinement To Creativity

This week Magaly invites us to write poetry or prose, which takes a negative concept and turns it into something positive. 

***

Let me tell you how I started blogging. Surviving office politics I was transferred from one of the Divisions  to Corporate Office.  I thought it would bring me some respite. On the contrary, I had new demons to deal with. 

My boss turned out to be a workaholic with massive insecurities who considered ever other of his colleagues, peers and even subordinates as his rivals. At first he condescendingly asked me whether I knew the basics of computer and other such silly questions. A few trials later he was convinced that I had the capacity to replace him (though this was revealed to me much later).

He started using me like a despatch clerk, sometimes an office assistant and then a typist. Having worked 24x7 independently for the most of my work life this treatment was a psychological snub' which almost shattered 'my self esteem. 

Throughout the day he would be away from his desk, arriving during the closing hours, and would hand me a bunch of inconsequential work stating that these were to be done yesterday. 

When I was almost into the throes of something inbetween depression and inferiority complex, one of my young colleagues, who was very much into Face Book, suggested blogging 'to kill time creatively'. 

I had never heard of it before. She explained what it was and created this blog space for me. At first, being a very private person, I was quite hesitant to share anything (read innermost thoughts, turmoil, dissent etc) in public domain. What would people think of me ? If anyone close happened to read my rants, what then? 

But as I got the heck of it, I realised it was quite a good vent to release the pressure. Gradually, 'talking' to strangers became from easy to enjoyable to a kind of high.

A few colleagues, happened to have read my posts, encouraged me to write on. It helped regain my confidence. I was good at something, wasn't I ? So what if boss thought I was unfit to be entrusted with important assignments. His tyrranical reign continued for seven long years. Phew!!

At last when he got transferred, he thanked me for my invaluable assistance to which in my farewell speech I blurted that he should have mercy on his subordinates to thunderous applause from the Department 
(that suffered him equally). On the aside  though, a well wisher pointed out that I was not required to be so suicidal. 

But then the bottled up fizz had to whoosh out somewhere at some point. 😂 😂 😂 😂 



2 comments:

  1. It's certainly a positive outcome for your readers, too, that you took to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Rosemary. It was therapeutic at that point if time.

      Delete