Thursday, 17 September 2026

Conversationally Yours

This week Rosemary wants us to write on family.

Some have large extended families Some have none. Some are left with a few like mine. And some try to forge family-like bonds with friends and acquaintances. But disturbingly a trend has developed in our society to shirk off caregiving  responsibility towards the elderly members of the clan. While migration to an Assisted Care Centre should ideally be a personal choice, in some instances , it is enforced to be completely absolved of all the familial duties as sons and daughters which is painful as well as frightening. Old age is the time when  the comfort and intimacy of near and dear ones are needed the most. But youth can be very impatient and brusque, irreverent and even ruthless in their expectations and decisions. This may add a depressing note to the response to this week's prompt more so after Rosemary's joyful family reunion which I am privy to courtesy her FB shares. Hoping better sense prevails on all here is my response:


Back again!!
Mrs. Crow at my window...

(Those who haven't had an intro with Mrs. Crow she is my (un) friendliest neighbour with loads of 'gyaan' to impart on anything and everything under the sun)

But this day she looked a bit pensive almost morose,
I asked casually, 'What's up?'
'I am thinking of booking a room in a Home for the Ageless...' Said she laconically.
'Ageless?' I was clueless.
'Timeless then, if it suits you', Retorted she,
'I have seen too much of the world , you see. And, of course, my flock...the tricks they play on me. I better be on my own before they disown me '
'Oh! An Old Age Home,' Realisation dawned slowly.
'Yes', Confirmed she, ' That's where peace is.'
'Philosophical', I quipped.
' That's what you are left with after pleasure and pain.'
I pretended to look sad in vain 
At last! I'd be left in peace.
I thought in my heart of hearts.
But she shattered my illusion in a jiffy.
Hopping on to the next branch of the tree she looked back adding, 'Coming along...?'
I coughed and spluttered, 'Well, I am still young.'
She scoffed, ' Perhaps you need more time to be fooled.'
With that she took flight 
Leaving me to ponder on my plight.





2 comments:

  1. I love the playful tone of your conversation with Mrs Crow and the weighty issues you both discuss and think about - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Mrs Crow seem like family to each other. But I do take your point about the nursing homes. There is a good one near me – only it has very poor Wifi reception, and how would I ever exist without my internet family?

    ReplyDelete