Monday 27 November 2023

Thanksgiving

spring cleaning...

dusty drawers
cobwebbed closets
yellowed papers
dogeared tomes

tearing away
distant past

half filled diaries
unfinished poems
ruffling of notes

a bout of sneeze

a dried up leaf
bleached
veined

rumpled sheets
.....a hasty scrawl
a teardrop perhaps
fudged the ink

yet legible
"you've made my day"



just those words 
too far away
fogged in time

yet.....

they spilled 
a thousand years....

once again

a bout of sneeze
running nose
a taste of salt
on the tongue

oh! this dust
cobwebs

memories
too many to handle
too much to bear







10 comments:

  1. I feel ya. And I needed the 'you made my day' part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poignantly written. What was given so many years ago sometimes holds more impact when seen from a long view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes and one doesn't know the depth of it Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've run across old, mostly forgotten notes too, just to have tears spring to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rommy! I know what you must be feeling. I was looking for an old document without which I won't get my pension. I am still looking for it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem leaves me wanting to do some autumn/winter cleaning. I need to find a picture of my late brother--to give to his daughter as a holiday gift. But I've been anxious about going through his things...

    ReplyDelete
  7. All that dust and the sneezing are what we should be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete